Tuesday 1 March 1927
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Metropolis, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1927
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1927!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1927 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Harry Belafonte: American actor and singer, a recording artist and worldwide show business star since 1950 with a repertory of folk and ethnic ballads.
- Robert Bork: American lawyer, judge and former Attorney General of the United States, 1973-74; the author of several books including "Slouching Toward Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline," 1996 and "The Tempting of America: The Political Seduction of the Law," 1989, which became a bestseller.
- Lusine Amara: Opera / concert singer.
- George Abell: American educator and astronomer who lectured at Griffith Observatory 1953-60, was a faculty member of UCLA from 1956, Professor of Astronomy from 1967 and Chairman of the Dept 1968-1975.
- Harry Belafonte in Harlem: New York City, New York, USA; calypso singer (Buck and the Preacher).
- Robert Heron Bork American judge: nominated for supreme court.
- Claude Gensac: French film and stage actress, well-known for playing with Louis De Funès, especially in the "Gendarme" series: "The Troops of St.Tropez"...
- Bank of Italy becomes a National Bank.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?