Wednesday 1 March 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Falcon Out West, directed by William Clemens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1944.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1944!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1944 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Roger Daltrey: British musician, singer and actor.
- Danilo Bach: American screenwriter and film producer.
- Buddhadeb politician: 7th Chief Minister of West Bengal.
- John Breaux: American lawyer and politician.
- Mike d'Abo: English singer-songwriter (Manfred Mann and A Band of Angels).
- Dirk Benedict: Helena, Montana -- Actor (A-Team, Battlestar Galactica)
- John Napier in London: England; set designer (Royal Shakespeare Company).
- Roger Daltrey in Hammersmith: London, England; rocker/actor/producer (The Who - "Tommy").
- John B Breaux American politician (Representative-Democrat-Louisiana: 1972-88).
- Formans: Director Milos mother, dies in Auschwitz.
- U-358 sinks in Atlantic
- Massive strikes in Northern Italian towns.
- The ''USS Tarawa'' and ''USS Kearsarge'' are laid down.
- An anti-fascist strike begins in northern Italy.
- WWII: A train stalls inside a railway tunnel outside Salerno, Italy 521 choke to death.
- The 16th Academy Awards ceremony is held.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Merry Macs - Mairzy Doats
- Poinciana (Song Of The Tree) - Bing Crosby
- By the River of Roses - Abe Lyman
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?