Thursday 1 March 1962
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Duke Of Earl by Duke Of Earl (Gene Chandler).
In UK The Young Ones by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Last Year at Marienbad, directed by Alain Resnais, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1962!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1962 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Russell Coutts: New Zealand sailor.
- Mark Gardner: American baseball player and coach.
- Bill Leen: American bass player and producer (Gin Blossoms).
- Melanie Moore: American porn actress and model.
- Mark Gardner in Los Angeles: California, USA; pitcher (San Francisco Giants).
- Roscoe Ates: Actor (Dep Roscoe-Marshal of Gunsight Pass), dies at 70.
- K-Mart opens
- US / British nuclear test experiment in Nevada
- American Airlines 707 plunges nose first into Jamaica Bay, New York, killing 95.
- Uganda becomes a self-governing country.
- US/British nuclear test experiment in Nevada.
- First Kmart store opens.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
- Bruce Channel - Hey! Baby
- Duke Of Earl - Duke Of Earl (Gene Chandler)
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Dion - The Wanderer
- Kenny Ball and His Jazzmen - Midnight In Moscow
- Sue Thompson - Norman
- Brenda Lee - Break It To Me Gently
- The Everly Brothers - Crying In The Rain
- Gene McDaniels - Chip Chip
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?