Thursday 1 March 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Part Of Me by Katy Perry.
Project X, directed by Nima Nourizadeh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 2012!
Which were the important events of 1 March 2012 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 March
- Syrian rebels leave the neighborhood of Bab Amr, Homs following a bloody 26 day bombardment. (Reuters)
- The United Nations Security Council demands access to Syria for its humanitarian chief Valerie Amos. (BBC)
- Clashes break out and tear gas is fired by security forces in northern Azerbaijan after protesters torch the home of a local governor. (''Daily Times of Pakistan'')
- A bomb explodes on a Turkish police bus in Istanbul injuring three people. (AFP via ''Dawn'')
- Two members of the NATO International Security Assistance Force are killed in southern Afghanistan, one of whom is believed to be a member of the Afghan Army. (AP via Google News)
- Unemployment in the Euro zone rises to 10.7 per cent, the highest level in its history. (Reuters)
- Brazil announces the continuation of a ampquotcurrency warampquot with the European Union and the United States with the extension of a financial transaction tax on foreign borrowings. (''Financial Times'')
- Australian floods:
- Heavy rains in the Australian state of New South Wales leads to evacuations or warnings in the towns of Cooma, Goulburn, Queanbeyan and near the town of Kiama. (''Daily Telegraph'')
- The Warragamba Dam, the primary water source for the city of Sydney, is expected to overflow within 24 hours causing nearby areas to flood as well as the Nepean River. (News Limited)
- Hundreds of people in the northern part of the state of Victoria, with the town of Tallygaroopna the worst affected. (''Stock and Land'')
- Heavy flooding is also reported in the region of the capital city Canberra with the Old Cotter River dam going under for the first time in a hundred years. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- The stricken liner ''Costa Allegra'' arrives at the Seychelles after losing power three days ago due to an engine room fire. (BBC)
- Vietnam claims that the People's Republic of China has assaulted Vietnamese fishermen in disputed waters in the South China Sea. (AP via CBS News)
- Americans working for non-government organisations who had been facing trial in Egypt are allowed to leave. (''New York Times'')
- European Union summit:
- European Union leaders meet to discuss Europe's economic problems and to reappoint Herman Van Rompuy as the President of the European Council. (Reuters via ''the Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Serbia becomes a candidate for membership of the EU. (''New York Times'')
- The International Criminal Court issues an arrest warrant for the Sudanese defence minister Abdelrahim Mohamed Hussein. (Al Jazeera)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?