Tuesday 1 May 1917
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Il destino di un trovatello, directed by Victor Tarasco, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1917.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1917 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- John Beradino: Los Angeles, California -- Actor (Steve Hardy- General Hospital).
- Ulric Cross: Trinidadian navigator judge and diplomat (d. 2013).
- Ahron Soloveichik: Russian rabbi and scholar (d. 2001).
- Danielle Darrieux: French actress, on-screen since 1930, one of the most famous actresses when Germany occupied France in 1940.
- Aimé Barelli: French conductor, composer, singer and jazz trumpeter.
- Jack Paar: American TV personality, comedian, singer, conversationalist and Tonight Show host from 1957-62. He was nominated for five Emmys and was honored by the Los Angeles Museum of Broadcasting 3/14/1991.
- Aime Barelli: France Actor
- Daniele Darrieux: France Actor
- Jean Lattès: French photographer, journalist and photojournalist.
- Louis G "Lo" van Hensbergen: Actor / author (Amsterdam Affair)
- Jose E Rodo: Uruguayan writer (Motivos de proteo).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1917 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- In the Sweet Long Ago - James F. Harrison & James Reed
- Marche Slave, Part 1 - Prince's Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?