Monday 1 May 1939
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Max Robinson in Richmond and Ray Aranha.
Union Pacific, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1939 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Max Robinson in Richmond: Virginia, USA; news anchor (ABC Evening News).
- Ray Aranha: Miami, Florida -- Actor (Nick-Married People).
- Judy Collins in Seattle: Washington, USA; singer ("Send in the Clowns", "Both Sides Now", "Clouds").
- Judy Collins: American folksinger, acclaimed for over 30 years for her crystalline soprano.
- Aba Cercato: Italian former television presenter and announcer.
- Billie Bryant: American homicide who made the FBI's "10 most wanted" list for his crimes and robberies. He shot and killed two FBI agents after robbing a bank on 1/08/1969. After being captured, Bryant was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole on 11/03/1969.
- Victor Davies: Canadian pianist composer and conductor
- Max Robinson: 1st black network (ABC) TV anchor, dies of AIDS at 49
- Batman comics hit street
- Pulitzer Prize awarded to Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (Yearling)
- ''Batman'', created by Bob Kane (and, unofficially, Bill Finger) makes his first appearance in a comic book.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?