Saturday 1 May 1943
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joy Harmon in Saint Louis and Claude Auclair.
The Ox-Bow Incident, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1943 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Joy Harmon in Saint Louis: Missouri, USA; actress (Cool Hand Luke).
- Claude Auclair: French cartoonist, a comics writer and illustrator.
- Ian Dunn: British gay rights campaigner who lived and worked in Scotland.
- Georges Pontier: French prelate, the Archbishop of Marseille since 2006 and president of the Bishops' Conference of France since 1 July 2013.
- Vassal Gadoengin: Nauruan politician (Born 1943).
- Joe Walsh: Irish politician Minister for Agriculture Food and the Marine (d. 2014)
- Johan Oscar Smith: Norweigian Christian leader and founder of Brunstad Christian Church (Born 1871).
- 1st edition of illegal The Free Artist appears in Amsterdam
- Rauter signs unofficial death sentence
- German Wehrmacht deployed in order to break Dutch strikes.
- German plane sinks boat loaded with Palestinian Jews bound for Malta.
- Food rationing begins in US.
- 69th Kentucky Derby: Johnny Longden aboard Count Fleet wins in 2:04.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 May 1943
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?