Thursday 1 May 1947
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Born to Kill, directed by Robert Wise, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1947.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1947 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- B Hyman: American author and pastor.
- Patrick Maugein: French businessman who was the chairman of Soco International, an oil brokerage.
- Carlos Ward: rocker (B T Express).
- Jacob Bekenstein: Mexican-born Israeli-American theoretical physicist (d. 2015).
- Sergio Infante: Chilean-Swedish poet and author.
- Jerry Heard: American golfer. He won five championships during the 1970s, but while participating in the 1975 Western Open, Heard, along with fellow golfers Lee Trevino and Bobby Nichols, was hit by lightning. Although severely injured, he recovered and returned to the tour. In 1978, he won the Atlanta Classic despite crippling pain from his injuries. Despite this win, however, he never fully regained the form that had earned him the title "rising star" earlier in the decade. After the tournament, he underwe
- Sanner: Leader of Norger blood bath, executed.
- Radar for commercial and private planes first demonstrated.
- Rear Admiral Roscoe H Hillenkoetter, US Navy, becomes 3th director of the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Cleveland Indians abandon League Park to play all games at Municipal Stadium.
- Portella della Ginestra massacre against May Day celebrations in Sicily by the bandit and separatist leader Salvatore Giuliano; 11 persons are killed and 33 wounded.
- The Salvatore Giuliano Gang opens fire on a labor parade near Portella Della Ginestra, Sicily, killing 11 people and wounding 30.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?