Saturday 1 May 1948
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include James Wise and Patricia Hill Collins.
State of the Union, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
On TV people were watching Barney Blake, Police Reporter.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1948 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- James Wise: American soul singer (Archie Bell and the Drells).
- Patricia Hill Collins: American black-feminist and scholar.
- Frey: Swiss astrologer, occultist, parapsychologist and author.
- Györgyi Balogh: Hungarian sprinter.
- Patricia Collins: American sociologist and scholar.
- Conrad Palmisano: American stuntman and director
- Christos Ladas: Greek minister of Justice, is murdered.
- Pope Pius XII publishes encyclical Auspicia quaedam
- Glenn Taylor, Idaho Senator, arrested in Birmingham, Alabama, for trying to enter a meeting through a door marked "for Negroes".
- 74th Kentucky Derby: Eddie Arcaro aboard Citation wins in 2:05.4; this is Arcaro's fourth win.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Dickey-Bird Song - Freddy Martin & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?