Sunday 1 May 1949
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Douglas Barr in Cedar Rapids and Margo Miller in San Francisco.
The Barkleys of Broadway, directed by Charles Walters, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching Crusade in Europe.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1949 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Douglas Barr in Cedar Rapids: Iowa, USA; actor (Howie - The Fall Guy).
- Margo Miller in San Francisco: California, USA; fencer-epee (Olympics-1996).
- Jim Clench Canadian bassist (April Wine and Bachman: Turner Overdrive) (d. 2010).
- David Cochrane: American astrologer and computer programmer, head developer of the Kepler, Sirius, and Pegasus astrology software.
- Michael Watson: Scottish politician, a Member of Parliament elected on 6/15/1989 to replace Robert McTaggart, who died 3/23/1989.
- Jim Clench: Canadian bass player (April Wine and Bachman Turner Overdrive) (d. 2010)
- Tim Hodgkinson: English saxophonist clarinet player and composer
- Paul Teutul: Sr. American motorcycle designer co-founded Orange County Choppers
- Gerard Kuiper discovers Nereid, (second satellite of Neptune).
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?