Saturday 1 May 1954
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Michael Scott and Ray Parker Jr in Detroit.
In UK I See The Moon by The Stargazers was in the top 5 hits.
Three Coins in the Fountain, directed by Jean Negulesco, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Not As A Stranger by Morton Thompson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Vampira Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1954 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Michael Scott: Reporter (Entertainment Tonight).
- Ray Parker Jr in Detroit: Michigan, USA; rock guitarist/vocalist ("Ghostbusters").
- Fred Chichin: French musician and songwriter.
- Ray Parker: Pop Singer.
- Joel Rosenberg: Canadian-American author and activist (d. 2011).
- Tom Tyler: Actor (Lost Ranch, Coyote Trails), dies at 50.
- HSA-UWC Forms (Unification Church) (Moonies)
- WAPA TV channel 4 in San Juan, PR (NBC / SFN) begins broadcasting
- 80th Kentucky Derby: Raymond York aboard Determine wins in 2:03.
- Bishops publish Mandement (member socialist organization forbidden).
- The Unification Church is founded in South Korea.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1954 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Happy Wanderer - Frank Weir & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?