Thursday 1 May 1958
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include John Diehl in Cincinnati and Dieter Moor.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Witch Doctor by David Seville.
In UK Whole Lotta Woman by Marvin Rainwater was in the top 5 hits.
Horror of Dracula, directed by Terence Fisher, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while Anatomy Of A Murder by Robert Traver was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Jefferson Drum.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1958 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- John Diehl in Cincinnati: Ohio, USA; actor (Detective Zito - Miami Vice).
- Dieter Moor: Swiss-born television moderator.
- Cecilia Peck: American actress and noted family, the daughter of Gregory Peck and Veronique Passani.
- Ambonese rebellion bombed Ambon / conquer Morotai
- Arturo Frondizi sworn in as President of Argentina.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- David Seville - Witch Doctor
- The Platters - Twilight Time
- Laurie London - He's Got The Whole World (In His Hands)
- Elvis Presley - Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
- The Champs - Tequila
- The Monotones - Book Of Love
- The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream
- The Chordettes - Lollipop
- Don Gibson - Oh Lonesome Me
- Connie Francis - Who's Sorry Now
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?