Tuesday 1 May 1962
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Soldier Boy by The Shirelles.
In UK Wonderful Land by The Shadows was in the top 5 hits.
War Hunt, directed by Denis Sanders, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship Of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1962 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Kevin Duggan: American homicide; committed murder on 10/25/1992 while on a drug binge.
- Reggie Pleasant: Canadian Football League cornerback (Edmonton Eskimos).
- Charles Halton: American murderer.
- Paula Weishoff in Hollywood: California, USA; volleyball player (Olympics-silver-1984, bronze-1992, 1996).
- Maia Morgenstern: Romanian actress.
- Ted Sundquist: American football player coach and manager
- 1st French underground nuclear experiment in the Sahara
- JFK authorizes Area Redevelopment Act (ARA)
- Bo Belinsky pitches a no-hitter, in his fourth start.
- US President John Kennedy authorizes Area Redevelopment Act (ARA).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Shirelles - Soldier Boy
- Shelley Fabares - Johnny Angel
- Elvis Presley - Good Luck Charm
- Mr. Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore
- Dee Dee Sharp - Mashed Potato Time
- Chubby Checker - Slow Twistin'
- Joey Dee and the Starliters - Shout - Part 1
- Clyde McPhatter - Lover Please
- Jimmy Dean - P.T. 109
- Twist, Twist Senora - Gary U.S. Bonds
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?