Sunday 1 May 1966
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Good Lovin' by Young Rascals.
In UK Pretty Flamingo by Manfred Mann was in the top 5 hits.
Arabesque, directed by Stanley Donen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1966.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1966 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Mark Coogan in Manhaset: New York, USA; marathon runner (Olympics-1996).
- Armando Reynoso in San Luis Potosi: MTxico; pitcher (Colorado Rockies).
- Johnny Colt in Cherry Point: North Carolina, USA; rock bassist (Black Crowes - "Shake Your Money Maker").
- Charlie Schlatter in New York City: New York, USA; actor (18 Again, Heartbreak Hotel).
- Olaf Thon: German football player.
- Peter Van Den Abeele: Belgian cyclist who entered the Atlanta Olympics and withdrew before the competition.
- US troops shooting targets in Cambodia.
- Mickey Wright wins LPGA Shreveport Kiwanis Club Golf Invitational.
- Last British concert by The Beatles (Empire Pool in Wembley).
- Radio RSA, South Africa begins shortwave transmitting.
- Floods occur on the Finnish coast.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Young Rascals - Good Lovin'
- The Righteous Brothers - (You're My) Soul And Inspiration
- The Mamas & The Papas - Monday, Monday
- The Beach Boys - Sloop John B
- Johnny Rivers - Secret Agent Man
- Paul Revere and the Raiders - Kicks
- The Outsiders - Time Won't Let Me
- Cher - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
- The Lovin' Spoonful - Daydream
- Herman's Hermits - Leaning On The Lamp Post
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?