Wednesday 1 May 1968
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Honey by Bobby Goldsboro.
In UK What A Wonderful World / Cabaret by Louis Armstrong was in the top 5 hits.
The Odd Couple, directed by Gene Saks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Tower Of Babel by Morris West was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1968.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1968 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- D'arcy Wretzky: American musician (The Smashing Pumpkins).
- Lisa Campbell in Victoria: Australia; badminton player (Olympics-1996).
- Anton Scheutjens: soccer player (Roda JC).
- Mark Scott in Paramus: New Jersey, USA; rock drummer (Trixter - "Give It To Me Good").
- Sol Kyung-gu: South Korean actor.
- Denise Masino: American Female bodybuilder
- Oliver Bierhoff: German athlete, a soccer player who played in the Italian Championship for Milan. After the end of his active career, since 29 July 2004 Bierhoff's involvement with football is as the manager of the German men's national team. He holds this position still now in 2014.
- Johnny Colt: American bass player (The Black Crowes Lynyrd Skynyrd Train and Rock Star Supernova)
- Kelly Bensimon: American model television personality and author
- Ben Franklin in Paris closes at Lunt Fontanne NYC after 215 performances
- Phillies J Boozer is ejected for throwing spitballs during his warmup
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Goldsboro - Honey
- The Box Tops - Cry Like A Baby
- Union Gap - Young Girl
- The Beatles - Lady Madonna
- Archie Bell & The Drells - Tighten Up
- James Brown - I Got The Feelin'
- The Intruders - Cowboys To Girls
- Hugo Montenegro - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- The Rascals - A Beautiful Morning
- The Irish Rovers - The Unicorn
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?