Friday 1 May 1970
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Damon Diletti and Alex Van.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to ABC by The Jackson 5.
In UK Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel was in the top 5 hits.
A Man Called Horse, directed by Elliot Silverstein, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The French Lieutenant'S Woman by John Fowles was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching A Family at War.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1970 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Damon Diletti: Australian field hockey goal keeper (1992, 96 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Alex Van: Pelt; NFL quarterback (Buffalo Bills).
- Alundis Brice: NFL cornerback (Dallas Cowboys).
- Allen DeGraffenreid: WLAF wide receiver (Scotland Claymores).
- Pasquale Gravina: Italian member of the Men's Volleyball Team which won a Bronze Medal at the Atlanta Olympics 8/04/1996.
- Bernard Butler: English singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (Suede The Tears and McAlmont and Butler)
- Crown Prince Euimin: Crown Prince of Korea (Born 1897).
- Protests erupt in Seattle, Washington, following the announcement by U.S. President Richard Nixon that U.S. Forces in Vietnam would pursue enemy troops into Cambodia, a neutral country.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Jackson 5 - ABC
- The Beatles - Let It Be
- Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky
- The Guess Who - American Woman
- John Ono Lennon - Instant Karma (We All Shine On)
- The Friends Of Distinction - Love Or Let Me Be Lonely
- Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)
- Badfinger - Come And Get It
- The Ides Of March - Vehicle
- Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?