Saturday 1 May 1971
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Renee Poetschka Australian 200 metre/400 metre (Olympics-1992 and Jamie Marie.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Joy To The World by Three Dog Night.
In UK Hot Love by T Rex was in the top 5 hits.
Billy Jack, directed by T.C. Frank, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Passions Of The Mind by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Von Liebe keine Rede.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Galaxy Game or Star Trek.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1971 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Renee Poetschka Australian 200 metre/400 metre (Olympics-1992: 1996).
- Jamie Marie: Swenson; Miss USA-South Dakota (1997).
- Ethan Albright NFL tackle (Miami Dolphins: Buffalo Bills).
- Stuart Appleby in Cohuna: Australia; Nike golfer (1994 Victorian PGA).
- Stuart Appleby: Australian-American golfer, a member of the PGA Tour.
- Ajith Kumar: Indian film actor
- Ethan Albright: American football player
- Kim Grant: South African tennis player
- Artur Kohutek: Polish hurdler and soldier
- Amtrak Railroad begins operation
- Rolling Stones release Brown Sugar
- Amtrak (the National Railroad Passenger Corporation) takes over operation of U.S. passenger rail service.
- 97th Kentucky Derby: Gustavo Avila on Canonero II wins in 2:03.2.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Three Dog Night - Joy To The World
- Ocean - Put Your Hand In The Hand
- Jackson 5 - Never Can Say Goodbye
- Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
- Neil Diamond - I Am.. I Said
- Bread - If
- The Bells - Stay Awhile
- Paul McCartney - Another Day
- The Temptations - Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
- Daddy Dewdrop - Chick-A-Boom (Don't Ya Jes' Love It)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?