Tuesday 1 May 1973
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree by Dawn.
In UK Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree by Dawn featuring Tony Orlando was in the top 5 hits.
High Plains Drifter, directed by Clint Eastwood, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1973 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Frank Beede: NFL center (Seattle Seahawks).
- Stéphane Trévisan: French football/soccer goalkeeper, who played for Toulouse Fontaines (1995-1996), Guingamp (1996-1999), Marseille (1999-2001), Ajaccio (2001-2006), Sedan (2006-2007) and Guingamp (2007-).
- Mike Jesse: German footballer.
- Curtis Martin: NFL running back (New England Patriots).
- Oliver Neuville: German footballer.
- Asger Jorn: Danish painter and sculptor (d. 1973).
- San Francisco Giants score seven runs with two outs in 9th inning to beat Pittsburgh Pirates, 8-7.
- An estimated 1,600,000 workers in the United Kingdom stop work in support of a Trade Union Congress quotday of national protest and stoppagequot against the Government's anti-inflation policy.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree
- Vicki Lawrence - The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia
- Edgar Winter - Frankenstein
- Stevie Wonder - You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
- War - The Cisco Kid
- The Sweet - Little Willy
- Carpenters - Sing
- Dobie Gray - Drift Away
- Stealers Wheel - Stuck In The Middle With You
- Donny Osmond - The Twelfth Of Never
Top #8 songs in the UK
- Dawn featuring Tony Orlando - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree
- The Sweet - Hell Raiser
- Gary Glitter - Hello Hello I'm Back Again
- Wizzard - See My Baby Jive
- Roger Daltrey - Giving It All Away
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Get Down
- I'm A Clown / Some Kind Of Summer - David Cassidy
- Tweedle Dee - Little Jimmy Osmond
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?