Monday 1 May 1989
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Annie Wilkinson and Caggie Dunlop.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Like A Prayer by Madonna.
In UK Hand On Your Heart by Kylie Minogue was in the top 5 hits.
Field of Dreams, directed by Phil Alden Robinson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching sto camping.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Aleste 2 or Crack Down.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1989 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Annie Wilkinson: Family Member.
- Caggie Dunlop: Reality Star.
- Alejandro Arribas: Spanish footballer.
- Poļina Jeļizarova: Latvian runner.
- Tim Urban: American singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- The Disney-MGM Studios Theme Park at Walt Disney World opens to the public. It covers 135 acres. Total construction costs were over US$500 million. Advertising and promotions for the opening cost US$30 million. Entrance prices are US$29 for adults, and US$23 for children aged 3-9.
- US Supreme Court rules employees have legal burden to prove non-discriminatory reasons for not hiring or promoting.
- Jockey Chris Antley ends record of 64 consecutive winning days.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?