Wednesday 1 May 1991
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Marcus Stroman and Kerry Shawcross.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Baby Baby by Amy Grant.
In UK The One And Only by Chesney Hawkes was in the top 5 hits.
Oscar, directed by John Landis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1991
while The Seeress Of Kell by David Eddings was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Astronomers.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing A320 Airbus or DartMUD.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1991 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Marcus Stroman: Baseball Player.
- Kerry Shawcross: YouTube Star.
- Creagen Dow: American actor producer and screenwriter.
- Bartosz Salamon: Polish footballer.
- Richard Thorpe: American director and screenwriter (d. 1991).
- Will Rogers Follies opens at Palace Theater NYC for 983 performances
- Actor Robert Duvall weds Sharon Brophy
- Rickey Henderson of the Oakland Athletics steals his 939th base, making him the all-time leader in this category. However, his accomplishment is overshadowed later that evening by Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers, when he pitches his seventh career no-hitter, breaking his own record.
- Skin-Spit-Skin featuring lesbain, homosexual and hetrosexual nude couples caressing, is seen by 5,000 in New York City
- Tx Ranger Nolan Ryan pitches record 7th no hitter (beats Toronto 3-0)
- Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers pitches his seventh career no-hitter (breaking his own record), beating the Toronto Blue Jays 3-0.
- Milwaukee Brewers beat Chicago Cubs, 10-9, in 19 innings.
- Angolan Civil War: The MPLA and UNITA agree to the Bicesse Accords, which are formally signed on May 31 in Lisbon.
- Sweden wins the 36th Eurovision Song Contest.
- U.S. President Bush is hospitalized after experiencing irregular heartbeat. He is released from hospital the next day.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1991 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Amy Grant - Baby Baby
- Roxette - Joyride
- Hi-Five - I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)
- C & C Music Factory - Here We Go
- Cathy Dennis - Touch Me (All Night Long)
- diVINYLS - I Touch Myself
- Rick Astley - Cry For Help
- Rod Stewart - Rhythm Of My Heart
- Wilson Phillips - You're In Love
- Mariah Carey - I Don't Wanna Cry
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?