Tuesday 1 May 2007
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne.
Spider-Man 3, directed by Sam Raimi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2007
while The Secret by Rhonda Byrne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2007.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 2007 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 May
- the Los Angeles May Day melee occurs, in which the Los Angeles Police Department's response to a May Day pro-immigration rally become a matter of controversy.
- The United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit rules that U.S. Representative Jim McDermott must pay damages for leaking a copy of a tape of an illegally intercepted telephone call. (New York Times)
- Iraq War:
- On the fourth anniversary of his ampquotMission Accomplishedampquot speech, President George W. Bush, citing the provisions setting a deadline for the withdrawal of U.S. troops, vetoes an Iraq War funding measure that also improves resting, training and equipping standards for combat troops before their deployment, and sets binding benchmarks for the Iraqi government. (AP via Denver Post)
- Brigadier-General Abdul Kareem Khalaf of the Iraqi Interior Ministry claims that Abu Ayyub al-Masri, the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq, has been killed in a battle between insurgents. The claim is later denied by insurgents. (BBC)
- Rupert Murdoch, the CEO of News Corporation, announces a $5 billion offer to take over Dow Jones, the publisher of the ''Wall Street Journal''. (International Herald Tribune)
- At least three people die after an explosion in an apartment building in Palencia, Spain. (AFP via ABC News Australia)
- Police arrest 30 alleged animal rights extremists in raids in the United Kingdom, Belgium and the Netherlands. (BBC)
- Deutsche Börse AG, operator of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, agrees to buy International Securities Exchange the second biggest United States options market for $2.8 billion creating the largest transatlantic derivatives market. (Bloomberg via the Boston Globe)
- Nigerian opposition and civil society groups join trade unions in May Day rallies against the recent presidential election which saw Umaru Yar'Adua elected as the President of Nigeria. (BBC)
- Eitan Cabel, a member of the Israeli Cabinet resigns in protest of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's handling of the 2006 Lebanon War. (FOX)
- Two men are charged in Melbourne, Victoria with being members of the Tamil Tigers and providing funding to the organisation. (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Digg users participate in the ampquotDigg Revoltampquot of posting the pirated HD-DVD/AACS hex code, considered by sources to be a pivotal moment in internet free-speech.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2007 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?