Friday 1 May 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Boom Boom Pow by The Black Eyed Peas.
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, directed by Mark Waters, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 2009 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 May
- Danny Gans: American entertainer (Born 1956).
- Same-sex marriage is legalized in Sweden.
- Police and protesters battle during May Day demonstrations in Germany, Greece, and Turkey. (''The Straits Times'')
- The Pakistani Army kills approximately 60 Taliban militants during Operation Black Thunder. (France24)
- The man who attacked the Netherlands' Royal Family on Queen's Day dies. (RTÉ)
- Carol Ann Duffy becomes the United Kingdom's first female Poet Laureate. (AP)
- Three executives of Allied Irish Banks resign. (''Irish Independent'')
- Associate Justice David Souter announces he will retire from the United States Supreme Court in June. (AP)
- The Portuguese frigate ''Corte-Real'' confiscates explosives from Somali pirates during an attempted hijacking. (AP) amp!-- Note that while this item is longer than most of our 'ship attacked' entries, it has to be because the explosives are highly significant as their seizure is thus far unique. Of course, rewording that keeps all this information available is still welcome. --amp
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?