Friday 1 November 1957
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Carlos Paiao and Marie-Anne Montchamp.
In that special week of November people in US were listening to Wake Up Little Susie by The Everly Brothers.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
Pursuit of the Graf Spee, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Man Without a Gun.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 November 1957!
Which were the important events of 1 November 1957 ?
- Also see November 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Start of National Novel Writing Month
- World Vegan Day
- Mexico - The Day of the Dead
- Ireland - Samhain the traditional first day of Winter
- Algeria - National day
- Catholicism - Holy Day of Obligation, All Saints Day. Holiday in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Mexico, The Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia, Spain, Guatemala.
- Roman festivals - last day of the Ludi Victoriae Sullanae.
- Antigua and Barbuda - Independence Day (from Britain, 1981)
- Carlos Paiao: Portuguese singer (d. 1988).
- Marie-Anne Montchamp: French politician, a member of the French government and the National Assembly of France.
- Lyle Lovett: American singer.
- Peter Ostrum: American actor.
- Carlos Paião: Portuguese singer-songwriter (d. 1988).
- KVII TV channel 7 in Amarillo, TX (ABC) begins broadcasting
- KXGN TV channel 5 in Glendive, MT (CBS / NBC / ABC) begins broadcasting
- WICZ TV channel 40 in Binghamton, New York (NBC) begins broadcasting
- World longest suspension bridge opens (Mackinac Straits, Michigan)
- The Mackinac Bridge, the world's longest suspension bridge between anchorages at the time, opens to traffic connecting Michigan's upper and lower peninsulas.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- The Tune Weavers - Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- Johnny Mathis - Chances Are
- Little Richard - Keep A Knockin'
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- Ricky Nelson - Be-Bop Baby
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?