Thursday 1 November 1979
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Luis Delgado and Henry Shefflin.
In that special week of November people in US were listening to Pop Muzik by M.
In UK Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles was in the top 5 hits.
Die Spinnen, 2. Teil - Das Brillantenschiff, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Establishment by Howard Fast was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Enchanted Castle.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing ABPA Backgammon or Sheriff.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 November 1979!
Which were the important events of 1 November 1979 ?
- Also see November 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Start of National Novel Writing Month
- World Vegan Day
- Mexico - The Day of the Dead
- Ireland - Samhain the traditional first day of Winter
- Algeria - National day
- Catholicism - Holy Day of Obligation, All Saints Day. Holiday in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Mexico, The Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia, Spain, Guatemala.
- Roman festivals - last day of the Ludi Victoriae Sullanae.
- Antigua and Barbuda - Independence Day (from Britain, 1981)
- Luis Delgado: Angolan footballer.
- Henry Shefflin: Irish hurler.
- Coco Crisp: American baseball player.
- Luís Delgado: Angolan footballer.
- Milan Dudić: Serbian footballer.
- Alex Prager: American photographer and director
- A L Webber musical Joseph & Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, premieres
- Bolivia military coup under General Busch, President Guevara flees
- Federal government made $1.5 billion loan to Chrysler
- Edward Bennett Williams buys the Baltimore Orioles for a reported US$12.3 million from Jerold Hoffberger.
- Tanker Burmah Agate off Galveston Bay, Texas, spills 10.7 million gallons of oil, in US's worst oil tanker spill disaster.
- Iran hostage crisis: Iranian Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini urges his people to demonstrate on November 4 and to expand attacks on United States and Israeli interests.
- Assata Shakur (née Joanne Chesimard), a former member of Black Panther Party and Black Liberation Army, escapes from a New York prison to Cuba, where she remains under political asylum.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?