Thursday 1 October 1953
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Look At That Girl by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
Mogambo, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Beyond This Place by A.J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1953.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1953!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1953 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Susan Gage: American daughter of actress Esther Williams and her second husband, actor/singer Ben Gage.
- Greta Andersen Waitz: Oslo, Norway -- Marathoner (NYC - 1984).
- Pete Falcone: American baseball player.
- John Hegley: English comedian and poet.
- Viljar Loor: Estonian volleyball player (d. 2011).
- Miguel Lopez: Salvadorian-American soccer player
- Grete Waitz: Norwegian runner and coach (d. 2011)
- Klaus Wowereit: German politician, member of the SPD (Social Democratic Party), and has been the Governing Mayor of Berlin since the 21 October 2001 state elections, where his party won a plurality of the votes, 29.7%. He served as President of the Bundesrat (the fourth highest office in Germany) in 2001/02. His SPD-led coalition was re-elected in the 2006 elections. In the elections held on 18 September 2011 he and his party were again the strongest party.
- KJEO TV channel 47 in Fresno, CA (CBS / ABC) begins broadcasting
- KYTV TV channel 3 in Springfield, MO (NBC) begins broadcasting
- WATE TV channel 6 in Knoxville, TN (ABC / NBC) begins broadcasting
- WREX TV channel 13 in Rockford, IL (ABC) begins broadcasting
- Indian state of Andhra Pradesh partitioned from Madras.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1953 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?