Thursday 1 October 1953
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Greta Andersen Waitz and Susan Gage.
In UK Look At That Girl by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
Mogambo, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Beyond This Place by A.J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Where's Raymond?.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1953!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1953 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Greta Andersen Waitz: Oslo, Norway -- Marathoner (NYC - 1984).
- Susan Gage: American daughter of actress Esther Williams and her second husband, actor/singer Ben Gage.
- Klaus Wowereit: German politician, member of the SPD (Social Democratic Party), and has been the Governing Mayor of Berlin since the 21 October 2001 state elections, where his party won a plurality of the votes, 29.
- Pete Falcone: American baseball player.
- John Hegley: English comedian and poet.
- Viljar Loor: Estonian volleyball player (d. 2011)
- Miguel Lopez: Salvadorian-American soccer player
- Grete Waitz: Norwegian runner and coach (d. 2011)
- KJEO TV channel 47 in Fresno, CA (CBS / ABC) begins broadcasting
- KYTV TV channel 3 in Springfield, MO (NBC) begins broadcasting
- WATE TV channel 6 in Knoxville, TN (ABC / NBC) begins broadcasting
- WREX TV channel 13 in Rockford, IL (ABC) begins broadcasting
- Indian state of Andhra Pradesh partitioned from Madras.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 October 1953
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1953 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?