Monday 1 October 1956
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Lay Down Your Arms by Anne Shelton was in the top 5 hits.
The Ten Commandments, directed by Cecil B. de Mille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1956 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Leslie Burr-Howard: Equestrian show jumper (1996 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Sylvain Kassap: French jazz musician (saxophone, clarinet) and composer.
- Andrus Ansip: Estonian engineer and politician 15th Prime Minister of Estonia.
- Theresa May: English politician Secretary of State for the Home Department.
- Stan Ockers: Belgian world champ cyclist (1955), dies at 36.
- Zestienhoven airport at Rotterdam official opens
- Johnny Heckmann rides seven winners at Chicago Hawthorne Horse track.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?