Friday 1 October 1976
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Gerald Ford (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kona Cormack and Umit Karan.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry.
In UK Dancing Queen by Abba was in the top 5 hits.
Marathon Man, directed by John Schlesinger, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1976
while Trinity by Leon Uris was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Candy Candy.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Breakout or Heavyweight Champ.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1976!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1976 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Kona Cormack: Honolulu, Hawaii -- Playmate (Feb, 1996).
- Umit Karan: Turkish footballer.
- Nasir al-Wuhayshi: Yemeni terrorist (d. 2015).
- Danielle Bisutti: American actress and singer.
- Kona Carmack: American model and actress.
- Denis Gauthier: Canadian ice hockey player
- Ümit Karan: Turkish footballer
- Richard Oakes: English guitarist and songwriter (Suede)
- Antonio Roybal: American painter and sculptor
- Mark Švets: Estonian footballer
- Dora Venter: Hungarian pornographic film actress
- 1st Dutch casino opens
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1976 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music
- England Dan and John Ford Coley - I'd Really Love To See You Tonight
- Walter Murphy - A Fifth Of Beethoven
- Rick Dees - Disco Duck (Part 1)
- Boz Scaggs - Lowdown
- Cliff Richard - Devil Woman
- War - Summer
- Chicago - If You Leave Me Now
- K.C and the Sunshine Band - (Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty
- Orleans - Still The One
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?