Friday 1 September 1933
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tom Vreugdenhil and Conway Twitty [Harold Jenkins] in Mississippi.
Penthouse, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1933
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1933!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1933 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Tom Vreugdenhil: Dutch MP (CDA).
- Conway Twitty [Harold Jenkins] in Mississippi: USA; country singer ("Hello Darlin'").
- Terence Adderley: American accountant and CEO of Kelly Services, known for being a popular innovator as a manager, promoting women officers who now include 30% of his home base offices.
- Ann Richards: American politician, elected Governor of Texas 11/06/1990, but lost her seat to George Bush, Jr.
- Conway Twitty: American singer-songwriter with more than 50 No.
- Marshall Lytle: American bass player and songwriter (Bill Haley & His Comets and The Jodimars) (d. 2013)
- T Thirunavukarasu: Sri Lankan politician (d. 1982)
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?