Friday 1 September 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Heinrich Messner and Katie Webster [Swamp-Boogie Queen].
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1939 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Heinrich Messner: Austria -- Downhill skier (1972 Olympics - Bronze Medalist).
- Katie Webster [Swamp-Boogie Queen]: US R&B pianist / singer.
- Lily Tomlin in Detroit: Michigan, USA; comedienne/actress (9 to 5, Laugh-in, All of Me).
- Philippe Marchand: French politician and Minister of the Interior, involved in the Habache contaminated blood scandal.
- Lily Tomlin: American actress and comedienne of TV, stage, films and night clubs.
- Hitler orders extermination of mentally ill
- Physical Review publishes 1st paper to deal with black holes
- Switzerland mobilizes its forces and the Swiss Parliament elects Henri Guisan to head the Swiss Army (an event that can happen only during war or mobilization).
- WW II starts, Germany invades Poland, takes Danzig
- The Wound Badge for Wehrmacht, SS, Kriegsmarine, and Luftwaffe soldiers is instituted. The final version of the Iron Cross is also instituted on this date.
- George C. Marshall becomes Chief of Staff of the United States Army.
- Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Switzerland declare their neutrality.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 September 1939
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?