Wednesday 1 September 1948
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Sorry, Wrong Number, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1948!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1948 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Jozef Zycinski: Polish archbishop and philosopher.
- James Rebhorn: American actor (d. 2014).
- Alastair Redfern: English bishop.
- Józef Życiński: Polish archbishop and philosopher (d. 2011).
- Bradman scores 143 Aust vs. South of England, 17 fours 1 six
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?