Tuesday 1 September 1953
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Chuck Orton and Ted Petty.
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
Island in the Sky, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Beyond This Place by A.J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching I Led 3 Lives.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1953!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1953 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Chuck Orton: US sysop (Emerald BBS, Oregon).
- Ted Petty: American professional wrestler (d. 2002).
- Rachid Bouchareb: French film director of Algerian descent.
- Beau Billingslea: American voice actor.
- Don Blackman: American singer-songwriter pianist and producer (d. 2013).
- Rocco Rock: American wrestler and boxer (d. 2002)
- Joseph Williams: American singer-songwriter and keyboard player (Toto)
- Bernard O'Dowd: Australian journalist author and poet (d. 1953).
- Fokker begins building F-27 Fokker Friendship
- WNOK (now WLTX) TV channel 19 in Columbia, SC (CBS) 1st broadcast
- WTCN (now KARE) TV channel 11 in Minneapolis-St Paul, MN (MET) begins
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1953 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?