Thursday 1 September 1955
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Yellow Rose Of Texas by Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Journey to Italy, directed by Roberto Rossellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1955!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1955 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Billy Blanks: American martial artist and actor.
- Bruce Foxton: English singer-songwriter and bass player (The Jam Stiff Little Fingers and Casbah Club).
- Philip Loeb: Actor (Jake-Goldbergs), dies at 61.
- 2 Egyptian fighters shot down over Israel
- KARD (now KSNW) TV channel 3 in Wichita, KS (NBC) begins broadcasting
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1955 ?
Top #6 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?