Sunday 1 September 1957
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Quatermass II: Enemy from Space, directed by Val Guest, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while On The Beach by Nevil Shute was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1957.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1957!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1957 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Dusko Ivanovic: Montenegrin basketball coach.
- Gloria Estefan: Cuban-born American singer, songwriter, actress and entrepreneur.
- Massimo Ferragamo: Italian noted family, the sixth child and third son of Salvatore and Wanda Ferragamo.
- Duško Ivanović: Montenegrin basketball player and coach.
- Helen Haye: Actress (Girl in the Taxi, Spy in Black), dies at 83.
- Excursion train crashed into a ravine killing 175, injuring 400
- WAVY TV channel 10 in Portsmouth-Norfolk, VA (NBC) begins broadcasting
- WHC (now WPXI) TV channel 11 in Pittsburgh, PA (NBC) 1st broadcast
- WTLV TV channel 12 in Jacksonville, Florida (ABC / NBC) begins broadcasting
- 175 die in Jamaica's worst railway disaster.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?