Friday 1 September 1961
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bam Bam Bigelow and Tonino Benacquista.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Wooden Heart by Joe Dowell.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Yojimbo, directed by Akira Kurosawa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1961 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Bam Bam Bigelow: American professional wrestler (d. 2007).
- Tonino Benacquista: French crime fiction author, comics writer, and screenwriter.
- Jeff Cross: American athlete, pro-basketball player for one season, 1985-86 for the Los Angeles Clippers.
- Bambam Bigelow: Wrestler.
- Bam Bigelow: American wrestler and actor (d. 2007).
- Pete DeCoursey: American journalist (d. 2014)
- Jeremy Farrar: British academic and educator; director of the Wellcome Trust
- Christopher Ferguson: American captain pilot and astronaut
- Boney James: American saxophonist composer and producer
- 1st conference of neutral countries held in Belgrade
- The Eritrean War of Independence officially begins with the shooting of the Ethiopian police by Hamid Idris Awate.
- First meeting held of the Non-Aligned Movement. The Soviet Union resumes nuclear testing, escalating fears over the ongoing Berlin crisis.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Gary (U.S.) Bonds - School Is Out
- Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes
- Linda Scott - Don't Bet Money Honey
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?