Friday 1 September 1972
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Eiman Thakeb and Louise Dobson.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan.
In UK School's Out by Alice Cooper was in the top 5 hits.
The Last House on the Left, directed by Wes Craven, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Patchwork Family.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Empire or Pong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1972.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1972!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1972 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Eiman Thakeb: Miss Egypt Universe (1997).
- Louise Dobson: Shepparton, Australia -- Field hockey fullback (1996 Olympics).
- Josh Davis: United States -- 800m freestyle swimmer (1996 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Amy Anderson: Comedian.
- Doug Williams: English-American wrestler and trainer.
- May Aufderheide: Composer, dies at 84.
- Egypt and Libya form federation
- Bobby Fischer (US) defeats Boris Spassky (USSR) for world chess title.
- In Reykjavik, Iceland, American Bobby Fischer beats Russian Boris Spassky and becomes the world chess champion.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)
- The Hollies - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
- Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You
- Looking Glass - Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
- Argent - Hold Your Head Up
- Mac Davis - Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me
- Carpenters - Goodbye To Love
- Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim
- Gary Glitter - Rock And Roll (Part 2)
- The O'Jays - Back Stabbers
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?