Saturday 1 September 1973
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Brother Louie by Stories.
In UK I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am) by Gary Glitter was in the top 5 hits.
Day for Night, directed by Franois Truffaut, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while Breakfast Of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1973!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1973 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- JD Fortune: Canadian singer-songwriter (INXS).
- Ram Kapoor: Indian actor.
- Rieko Miura: Japanese singer and actress (Coco).
- Zach Thomas: American football player.
- Gillian Boxx: Fontana, California -- Softball catcher (1996 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Trent Bray: New Zealand -- 100m / 200m swimmer (1996 Olympics)
- George Foreman knocks out Jose Roman in the first round to retain heavyweight title in Japan.
- 74-year-old Hafnia Hotel burns, killing 35 (Copenhagen, Denmark).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
- Stories - Brother Louie
- Maureen McGovern - The Morning After
- Diana Ross - Touch Me In The Morning
- Helen Reddy - Delta Dawn
- Wings - Live And Let Die
- Paul Simon - Loves Me Like A Rock
- Dawn - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Get Down
- Chicago - Feelin' Stronger Every Day
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 September 1973 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?