Saturday 1 September 1973
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Gillian Boxx and Trent Bray.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Brother Louie by Stories.
In UK I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am) by Gary Glitter was in the top 5 hits.
Day for Night, directed by François Truffaut, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while Breakfast Of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mission: Magic!.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Space Race or TREK73.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1973!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1973 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Gillian Boxx: Fontana, California -- Softball catcher (1996 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Trent Bray: New Zealand -- 100m / 200m swimmer (1996 Olympics).
- JD Fortune: Canadian singer-songwriter (INXS).
- Ram Kapoor: Indian actor.
- Rieko Miura: Japanese singer and actress (Coco).
- Zach Thomas: American football player
- George Foreman knocks out Jose Roman in the first round to retain heavyweight title in Japan.
- 74-year-old Hafnia Hotel burns, killing 35 (Copenhagen, Denmark).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 September 1973
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Stories - Brother Louie
- Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
- Helen Reddy - Delta Dawn
- Diana Ross - Touch Me In The Morning
- Wings - Live And Let Die
- Dawn - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose
- Maureen McGovern - The Morning After
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Get Down
- Paul Simon - Loves Me Like A Rock
- Chicago - Feelin' Stronger Every Day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?