Monday 1 September 1980
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Nigar Jamal and Lara Pulver.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Upside Down by Diana Ross.
In UK The Winner Takes It All by Abba was in the top 5 hits.
Smokey and the Bandit II, directed by Hal Needham, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Rage Of Angels by Sidney Sheldon was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mysterious World.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Boxing or Lords of Karma.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1980!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1980 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Nigar Jamal: Azerbaijani singer.
- Lara Pulver: TV Actress.
- Sammy Adjei: Ghanaian footballer.
- Chris Riggott: English footballer.
- Sean Stewart: American songwriter, musician, model and the son of Rod Stewart.
- Dutch embassy in Israel moves from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv
- Nancy Lopez wins LPGA Rail Charity Golf Classic
- Major General Chun Doo-hwan becomes president of South Korea, following the resignation of Choi Kyu-hah.
- Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope ends in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Diana Ross - Upside Down
- Christopher Cross - Sailing
- The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
- Air Supply - All Out Of Love
- Irene Cara - Fame
- Olivia Newton-John - Magic
- George Benson - Give Me The Night
- The S.O.S. Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right) Part 1
- Paul Simon - Late In The Evening
- Johnny Lee - Lookin' For Love
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?