Monday 1 September 2008
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
Slumdog Millionaire, directed by Danny Boyle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 2008!
Which were the important events of 1 September 2008 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 September
- September 14 – Hurricane Ike makes landfall on Texas as Category 2 and kills 27 in the United States, after killing four in Cuba, one in the Dominican Republic, and 75 in Haiti.
- U.S. Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter Bristol is revealed to be five months pregnant. (Wall Street Journal)
- The U.S. military hands control of Al Anbar Governorate over to the Iraqi government. (BBC)
- An ACLU lawsuit challenges gag orders in National Security Letters. (BBC)
- 2008 Atlantic hurricane season:
- Tropical Storm Hanna becomes Hurricane Hanna (2008) with hurricane warnings issued for the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos. (MSNBC)
- Tropical Storm Ike (2008) forms east of the Leeward Islands. (''Miami Herald'')
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- The European Union suspends talks on a new partnership agreement with Moscow until Russian troops have withdrawn from Georgia. (BBC)
- Russia accuses the West of sending weapons to Georgia along with aid, while the European Union considers possible sanctions against Russia. (CNN)
- Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda abruptly resigns less than a year after taking office, triggering a leadership election. (BBC)
- A Government of Orissa report states 558 houses and 17 places of worship were burnt in the 2008 Orissa violence. (Times of India)
- Robert French is sworn in as the 12th Chief Justice of Australia. (ABC (Australia))
- Manchester City Football Club is bought out by the Abu Dhabi United Group for Investment and Development Limited, the consortium led by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan. This effectively made City the richest Football Club in the world. It also made Transfer Deadline Day one of the most memorable, with City's new found wealth allowing them to bid for such players as Dimitar Berbatov, Fernando Torres, Mario Gomez and David Villa. They eventually signed Robinho for a Britsh Record Fee of
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2008 ?
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?