Sunday 2 August 1959
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Britt Helfer and Raffaele Ciriello.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Lonely Boy by Paul Anka.
In UK Dream Lover by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Oh Boy!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 2 August 1959 ?
- St. Etheldritha/Alfrida
- St. Alphonsus Mary de Ligouri
- St. Stephen
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 4 saints: St. Peter Julian Eymard
- Feast day of Ilya the Prophet in Russian Orthodox Church
- Bulgaria/Republic of Macedonia - Ilinden (St. Ilya Day), a day of remembrance of the Ilinden Uprising
- Costa Rica - Our Lady of the Angels
- Day of airborne forces in Russia
- Britt Helfer: Clearfield, Utah -- Actress (Lily-Loving, Alley Cat).
- Raffaele Ciriello: Italian journalist, a photographic reporter killed by Israeli soldiers on 3/13/2002.
- Anne Lauvergeon: French businesswoman and ex-president of the nuclear firm Areva, nicknamed "Atomic Annie.
- Kelly Michael: American singer, appearing as a duo with Amy Rodden under the name of Thelma and Louise.
- Victoria Jackson: American comedian.
- Johnny Kemp: Bahamian singer-songwriter and producer (d. 2015)
- Apollonia Kotero: American singer and actress (Apollonia 6)
- Prospero Bisquertt: Composer, dies at 78.
- 41st PGA Championship: Bob Rosburg shoots a 277 at Minneapolis Golf Club
- San Francisco Giants 1st baseman Willie McCovey hits 1st of his 521 HRs
- Milwaukee Braves' Bill Bruton hits two bases loaded triples.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 2 August 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Fabian - Tiger
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Connie Francis - Lipstick On Your Collar
- Duane Eddy - Forty Miles Of Bad Road
- Lloyd Price - Personality
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?