Tuesday 2 August 1966
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Wild Thing by The Troggs.
In UK With A Girl Like You by Troggs was in the top 5 hits.
This Property Is Condemned, directed by Sydney Pollack, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 August 1966!
Which were the important events of 2 August 1966 ?
- St. Etheldritha/Alfrida
- St. Alphonsus Mary de Ligouri
- St. Stephen
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 4 saints: St. Peter Julian Eymard
- Feast day of Ilya the Prophet in Russian Orthodox Church
- Bulgaria/Republic of Macedonia - Ilinden (St. Ilya Day), a day of remembrance of the Ilinden Uprising
- Costa Rica - Our Lady of the Angels
- Day of airborne forces in Russia
- Joseph Wanag: Wilson, Connecticut -- US judoka (1992 Olympics).
- Takashi Iizuka: Japanese wrestler.
- Tim Wakefield: Melbourne, Florida -- Pitcher (Boston Red Sox).
- Takayuki Iizuka: Japanese professional wrestler.
- MV Sridhar: Indian cricketer.
- Radio Vila (New Hebrides) begins transmitting
- The Spanish government forbids overflights of British military aircraft.
- Groundbreaking takes place for the World Trade Center.
- Martin Luther King Jr. leads a civil rights march in Chicago, during which he is struck by a rock thrown from an angry white mob.
- Caesars Palace hotel and casino opens in Las Vegas.
- The Beatles release the legendary ''Revolver'' album in the United Kingdom.
- Braniff Airlines Flight 250 crashes in Falls City, Nebraska, killing all 42 on board.
- Rene Barrientos takes office as the president of Bolivia.
- The Salazar Bridge (now the 25 de Abril Bridge) opens in Lisbon, Portugal.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer In The City
- The Troggs - Wild Thing
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Hanky Panky
- Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs - Lil' Red Riding Hood
- Napoleon XIV - They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!
- Crispian St. Peters - The Pied Piper
- The Mamas and The Papas - I Saw Her Again
- Tommy Roe - Sweet Pea
- The Rolling Stones - Mothers Little Helper
- Ray Conniff - Somewhere, My Love
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 2 August 1966 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?