Thursday 2 February 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Set Fire To The Rain by Adele.
Safe House, directed by Daniel Espinosa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 February 2012!
Which were the important events of 2 February 2012 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Veja Diena observed.
- St. Adelbald
- Catholicism - Candlemas, The Presentation of the Lord, The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary, World Day for Consecrated Life (also February 3 in the United States).
- United States and Canada - Groundhog Day.
- Scotland - A quarter day in the Christian calendar (due to Candlemas).
- Paganism - Imbolc (in northern hemisphere), Lughnasadh (in southern hemisphere).
- Czech Republic - Hromnice.
- St. Cornelius
- France - CrOpe Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 February
- The Philippines military claim to have killed Abu Sayyaf leader Umbra Jumdail, Malaysian Zulkifli bin Hir, a leader of Jemaah Islamiyah, and Singaporean Abdullah Ali. (AP via Google News)
- Six kidnapped aid workers are released in Yemen. (Reuters)
- The Mexican Army sends 4,000 soldiers to Michoacán state as a result of recent violence. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- The ferry sinks off the coast of Papua New Guinea near the Finschhafen District, with an estimated 350 people on board. Nearby commercial ships rescue 238 people from the sea. (BBC)
- More than 110 people are killed across Europe as a result of a recent cold snap. (AP via ''Courier Mail'')
- Australian floods:
- Thousands of residents of Australian towns Bellingen and Moree, New South Wales are warned to prepare to evacuate as a result of heavy rain. (''The Australian'')
- A disaster is declared in the Queensland town of Mitchell with the Maranoa River expected to reach a peak of 9 metres. (''The Age'')
- The People's Republic of China asks for assistance from South Sudan to obtain the release of 29 Chinese workers held captive in Sudan for five days. (Reuters)
- Corruption charges against former Premier of Western Australia Brian Burke are dropped. (ABC News Australia)
- The Supreme Court of India cancels 122 telecom licences granted in the 2008 sale at the centre of a corruption scandal involving former minister A. Raja. (AFP via Google News)
- Egyptian comedian Adel Imam is sentenced to three months in prison for insulting Islam. ( (''The Guardian''))
- The Prime Minister of Egypt Kamal Ganzouri calls an emergency Cabinet meeting to discuss the Port Said Stadium clashes which resulted in at least 74 deaths. (AFP via SBS News Australia)
- Voters in Kuwait go the polls for a parliamentary election. (Reuters)
- Prince William arrives in the Falkland Islands for a tour of duty as a Royal Air Force search and rescue pilot. His deployment comes at a time of high tension between the United Kingdom and Argentina over the sovereignty of the islands. (BBC)
- Sam Gagner of the Edmonton Oilers becomes just the thirteenth NHL player in history to record 8 points in one game, doing so against the Chicago Blackhawks. It is the first time the feat is attained since 1989. (CBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?