Monday 2 January 1961
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Are You Lonesome To-Night? by Elvis Presley.
In UK What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For? by Emile Ford & The Checkmates was in the top 5 hits.
Where the Boys Are, directed by Henry Levin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 January 1961!
Which were the important events of 2 January 1961 ?
- New Zealand ? Statutory holiday, Second day of New Year.
- United States - Bonza Bottler Day.
- Slovenia ? Second day of New Year.
- Scotland ? Second day of the Hogmanay Bank Holiday.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism ? Feast day of St. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen.
- The eighth day of Christmas (and ninth night of same) in Western Christianity.
- Science Fiction Day
- Todd Haynes: American gay filmmaker whose films are controversial and often criticized, often praised for the erotic themes and graphic content.
- Gabrielle Carteris: American actress.
- Craig James: Actor (Human Comedy, Kismet), dies of lung cancer at 74.
- Hitoshi Saito: Japanese martial artist (d. 2015).
- Robert Wexler: American lawyer and politician.
- 1st AFL Championship Game, Houston Oilers beat LA Chargers 24-16
- Hawaii's all-time low temperature, 14 degrees F recorded atop Haleakale.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra - Wonderland By Night
- Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
- Rosie - Angel Baby
- Ray Peterson - Corinna, Corinna
- Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome To-Night?
- Floyd Cramer - Last Date
- Kathy Young - A Thousand Stars
- Johnny Horton - North To Alaska
- Connie Francis - Many Tears Ago
- Johnny Burnette - You're Sixteen
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Emile Ford & The Checkmates - What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For?
- Adam Faith - What Do You Want?
- Neil Sedaka - Oh Carol
- Elmer Bernstein - Staccato's Theme
- Michael Holliday - Starry Eyed
- Johnny Tillotson - Poetry In Motion
- Cliff Richard - I Love You
- Matt Monro - Portrait Of My Love
- The Ventures - Perfidia
- The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 2 January 1961 and get them!