Sunday 2 January 1972
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Brand New Key by Melanie.
In UK Grandad by Clive Dunn was in the top 5 hits.
Straw Dogs, directed by Sam Peckinpah, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while The Day Of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 January 1972!
Which were the important events of 2 January 1972 ?
- New Zealand ? Statutory holiday, Second day of New Year.
- United States - Bonza Bottler Day.
- Slovenia ? Second day of New Year.
- Scotland ? Second day of the Hogmanay Bank Holiday.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism ? Feast day of St. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen.
- The eighth day of Christmas (and ninth night of same) in Western Christianity.
- Science Fiction Day
- Jeff Jackson: American baseball outfielder (Philadelphia Phillies).
- Mattias Norstrom in Mora: Sweden; NHL defenseman (Team Sweden, Los Angeles Kings).
- Christopher Lennertz: American composer.
- Adam Elliot: Australian animator and screenwriter.
- Paweł Januszewski: Polish hurdler.
- Rodney MacDonald: Canadian educator and politician 26th Premier of Nova Scotia
- Hristos Meletoglou: German-Greek triple jumper
- Mattias Norström: Swedish ice hockey player and manager
- Lake Dawson: American football player, a wide receiver with the Indianapolis Colts who signed with the team on 2/11/1999. Prior to playing for Indianapolis, Dawson played wide receiver for the Kansas City Chiefs; he was originally signed by the Chiefs on 5/05/1994. For the four years that Dawson was a member of the Chiefs organization, he was a productive player for the offense, setting many team and league records.
- Rothschilds closes at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC after 505 performances
- Miami Dolphins beat Baltimore Colts 21-0 in AFC championship game.
- Mariner 9 begins mapping Mars.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Don McLean - American Pie (Parts 1 and 2)
- Jonathan Edwards - Sunshine
- Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio
- Donny Osmond - Hey Girl
- Melanie - Brand New Key
- Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair
- The Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her
- Three Dog Night - An Old Fashioned Love Song
- Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
- David Cassidy - Cherish
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Clive Dunn - Grandad
- Dave Edmunds - I Hear You Knocking
- McGuinness Flint - When I'm Dead And Gone
- T Rex - Ride A White Swan
- The Jackson Five - I'll Be There
- The New Seekers - I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony)
- Neil Reid - Mother Of Mine
- Benny Hill - Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)
- Congregation - Softly Whispering I Love You
- T Rex - Jeepster
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 2 January 1972 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?