Sunday 2 January 1972
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jeff Jackson and Mattias Norstrom in Mora.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Brand New Key by Melanie.
In UK Grandad by Clive Dunn was in the top 5 hits.
Straw Dogs, directed by Sam Peckinpah, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while The Day Of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching La demoiselle d'Avignon.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Empire or Pong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 January 1972!
Which were the important events of 2 January 1972 ?
- New Zealand ? Statutory holiday, Second day of New Year.
- United States - Bonza Bottler Day.
- Slovenia ? Second day of New Year.
- Scotland ? Second day of the Hogmanay Bank Holiday.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism ? Feast day of St. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen.
- The eighth day of Christmas (and ninth night of same) in Western Christianity.
- Science Fiction Day
- Jeff Jackson: American baseball outfielder (Philadelphia Phillies).
- Mattias Norstrom in Mora: Sweden; NHL defenseman (Team Sweden, Los Angeles Kings).
- Christopher Lennertz: American composer.
- Lake Dawson: American football player, a wide receiver with the Indianapolis Colts who signed with the team on 2/11/1999.
- Adam Elliot: Australian animator and screenwriter.
- Paweł Januszewski: Polish hurdler
- Rodney MacDonald: Canadian educator and politician 26th Premier of Nova Scotia
- Hristos Meletoglou: German-Greek triple jumper
- Mattias Norström: Swedish ice hockey player and manager
- Rothschilds closes at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC after 505 performances
- Miami Dolphins beat Baltimore Colts 21-0 in AFC championship game.
- Mariner 9 begins mapping Mars.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Melanie - Brand New Key
- Don McLean - American Pie (Parts 1 and 2)
- Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair
- Three Dog Night - An Old Fashioned Love Song
- Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
- The Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her
- Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio
- Jonathan Edwards - Sunshine
- David Cassidy - Cherish
- Donny Osmond - Hey Girl
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Clive Dunn - Grandad
- The New Seekers - I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony)
- Dave Edmunds - I Hear You Knocking
- Neil Reid - Mother Of Mine
- McGuinness Flint - When I'm Dead And Gone
- Benny Hill - Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)
- T Rex - Ride A White Swan
- Congregation - Softly Whispering I Love You
- The Jackson Five - I'll Be There
- T Rex - Jeepster
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?