Monday 2 January 1989
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include James Byrne and Maksims Bogdanovs.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison.
In UK Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle was in the top 5 hits.
Beaches, directed by Garry Marshall, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Sands Of Time by Sidney Sheldon was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching USA Up All Night.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Black Gold or Bloodwych.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 January 1989!
Which were the important events of 2 January 1989 ?
- New Zealand ? Statutory holiday, Second day of New Year.
- United States - Bonza Bottler Day.
- Slovenia ? Second day of New Year.
- Scotland ? Second day of the Hogmanay Bank Holiday.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism ? Feast day of St. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen.
- The eighth day of Christmas (and ninth night of same) in Western Christianity.
- Science Fiction Day
- James Byrne: English-born Scottish professional golfer who represented Great Britain and Ireland in the 2011 Walker Cup matches.
- Maksims Bogdanovs: Latvian motorcycle racer.
- Şeref Osmanoğlu: Ukrainian-Turkish triple jumper.
- UCLA wins a record 7th consecutive bowl game.
- Notre Dame beats West Virginia for college football championship.
- Prime Minister Ranasinghe Premadasa takes office as the third President of Sri Lanka
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 2 January 1989
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn
- Bobby Brown - My Prerogative
- Phil Collins - Two Hearts
- Anita Baker - Giving You The Best That I Got
- Bangles - In Your Room
- Taylor Dayne - Don't Rush Me
- Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall
- Chicago - Look Away
- Def Leppard - Armageddon It
- Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth
- Kylie & Jason - Especially For You
- Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
- Erasure - Crackers International (EP)
- Krush - House Arrest
- Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
- Morris Minor & The Majors - Stutter Rap (No Sleep 'Til Bedtime)
- Mike & The Mechanics - The Living Years
- Cher - I Found Someone
- Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?