Sunday 2 July 1961
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Alba Parietti and Pat Dufficy.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Quarter To Three by Gary U.S. Bonds.
In UK Runaway by Del Shannon was in the top 5 hits.
Rocco and His Brothers, directed by Luchino Visconti, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kraft Mystery Theater.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 July 1961!
Which were the important events of 2 July 1961 ?
- Feast Day of St. John Regis
- Originally, in the Roman Catholic Church, the Feast of the Visitation was celebrated on this day, although it has since been transferred to May 31
- Palio di Provenzano in Siena, Italy
- Canada Day. Under the Holidays Act, Canada Day is always observed on July 1 unless that date falls on a Sunday, in which case it is observed on July 2.
- Alba Parietti: Torino, Italy -- Actress (Galagoal, Abbronzatissima).
- Pat Dufficy: Westerly, Rhode Island -- Female catcher (Colo Silver Bullets).
- Jimmy McNichol in Los Angeles: California, USA; actor (Fitzpatricks, California Fever).
- Michael Lindsay: American voice actor.
- Samy Naceri: French actor.
- Alba Parietta: Italian film actress, television presenter, and entertainer.
- Jon Sundvold: American athlete, he played pro basketball from 1983-1992.
- Frederic Talgorn: French musician and composer of numerous film scores, including those for "Edge of Insanity," "Buried Alive," and "Delta Force II."
- Matt Preston: Journalist
- Clark Kellogg: American basketball player and sportscaster
- Ernest Hemingway: American writer, novelist and adventurer who was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1953 for "The Old Man and the Sea" and in 1954, the Nobel Prize for Literature.
- Maris hits 29th and 30th en route to 61 homers
- Writer Ernest Hemingway shoots himself to death in Ketchum, Idaho, USA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
- Dee Clark - Raindrops
- Pat Boone - Moody River
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Adam Wade - The Writing On The Wall
- Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song
- Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart
- Little Caesar and the Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me Of You)
- Ben E. King - Stand By Me
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?