Friday 2 July 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to California Gurls by Katy Perry.
The Last Airbender, directed by M. Night Shyamalan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 July 2010!
Which were the important events of 2 July 2010 ?
- Feast Day of St. John Regis
- Originally, in the Roman Catholic Church, the Feast of the Visitation was celebrated on this day, although it has since been transferred to May 31
- Palio di Provenzano in Siena, Italy
- Canada Day. Under the Holidays Act, Canada Day is always observed on July 1 unless that date falls on a Sunday, in which case it is observed on July 2.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 July
- Beryl Bainbridge: English author and screenwriter (d. 2010).
- The South Kivu tank truck explosion in the Democratic Republic of the Congo kills at least 230 people.
- Aftermath of the Gaza flotilla clash:
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu states in a televised address that Israel will not apologize to Turkey for the Gaza flotilla clash and that no compensation will be paid to the injured. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- A series of studies published by Palestinian scientists in ''The Lancet'' claims that Israel's blockade of the Gaza Strip threatens to cause long-term health damage, malnutrition and stunted growth in children. (Reuters)
- Senegal enters eight days of national mourning as President Abdoulaye Wade swears allegiance to the new Grand Marabout of the Mourides following the death of his predecessor, Serigne Mouhamadou Lamine Bara Mbacké. (Reuters)
- At least 17 civilians are killed and dozens of others are injured during fighting between the government and anti-government in Mogadishu. (Aljazeera)
- Former South African Police Service national commissioner and ex-Interpol president Jackie Selebi is found guilty of corruption. (Aljazeera)
- Turkish warplanes bomb Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) hideouts in the Qandil mountains and the Hakurk region of Iraq, the day after 17 people die in Siirt. (Xinhua)
- Amnesty International calls for an independent investigation into the July 2009 Ürümqi riots, while the United States agrees. (Aljazeera)
- Eight soldiers are killed during two roadside bombs in Narathiwat and Yala in Thailand. (Aljazeera)
- Protests take place in Lahore and Karachi among other places amid calls for resignations following yesterday's bombings of Data Darbar in Lahore. (Aljazeera)
- American hotel heiress Paris Hilton is arrested in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, for allegedly smoking marijuana during the 2010 FIFA World Cup match between Brazil and the Netherlands. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Russian cargo ship Progress fails to dock with the International Space Station. (Fox News)
- Newly-elected President Ahmed M. Mahamoud Silanyo promises to campaign ampquotvigorouslyampquot for the recognition of ampquotour democracyampquot during his time in office. (AFP)
- Ian Paisley condemns the invitation for the Pope to visit Britain and calls child-abusing Catholic priests ampquotAntichristsampquot. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- President of the United States Barack Obama signs into law the CISAD Act, which bans US banks from doing business with foreign banks that provide services to Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards. (Aljazeera)
- Germany vows to suspend aid to Zimbabwe unless occupiers leave a farm owned by a German national. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Gazprom and Beltransgaz sign a gas transit deal, setting the transit fee for this year. (Xinhua)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2010 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?