Wednesday 2 May 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
LOL, directed by Lisa Azuelos, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Seriously?!.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Blast-A-Way or Botanicula.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 2 May 2012 ?
- Saint Zoe
- Saint Mafalda
- Saint Waldebert, Walbert or Gaubert
- Saint Germanus
- Saints Exuperius and Zoe
- Saint Boris
- Saint Athanasius
- Indonesia - Indonesia National Education Day
- Iran - Teacher's Day
- Slovenia - second day of Labour Day
- Madrid Region - Day of the Region.
- Bah�'f Faith: Last day of the Festival of Ridv�n
- Poland - Flag Day, an official holiday to honour the Flag of Poland
- saint tsar Boris
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 May
- A pastel version of ''The Scream'', by Norwegian painter Edvard Munch, sells for US$120 million in a New York City auction, setting a new world record for an auctioned work of art.
- Arab Spring:
- At least 20 people are killed in Cairo as unidentified attackers unleash rocks, clubs, firebombs and shotguns on a protest near the Egyptian Ministry of Defence. Police and the military intervene after six hours. (BBC)
- The New York-based Human Rights Watch accuses Syrian forces of continuing their killing sprees in opposition areas even after peace talks began. (Al Jazeera)
- 2012 South Sudan–Sudan border conflict: The United Nations Security Council passes a resolution threatening sanctions if hostilities do not end within 48 hours. (Al Jazeera)
- At least six people are killed in a suicide bombing attack on a Kabul suburb popular with westerners. (Reuters)
- Mexican Drug War:
- A gunfight between the Mexican Army and suspected gunmen of a drug cartel left 12 dead in the western state of Sinaloa, the homestate of Joaquín Guzmán Loera, Mexico's most-wanted drug lord. (BBC)
- Imprisoned journalist and blogger Eskinder Nega is awarded the PEN America's ampquotFreedom to Writeampquot annual prize for publishing articles critical of Ethiopia's human rights record. (BBC)
- A court in the German city of Mannheim rules that Microsoft has infringed Motorola Mobility's patents and bans Xbox 360 gaming consoles and Windows 7 operating system from sale in Germany. (Reuters via Yahoo News)
- The News Corporation board expresses its ampquotfull confidenceampquot in Rupert Murdoch following a UK government media committee's conclusion yesterday that Murdoch is ampquotnot a fit personampquot to run a major international business. (BBC)
- Visit to China by Hillary Clinton:
- United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrives in Beijing for high-level talks with the government of China. She also contacts dissident Chen Guangcheng. (AP via MSNBC)
- Chen later leaves the U.S. embassy after a week spent there after fleeing house arrest in China, after alleged threats to his family. (Xinhua)
- Chinese Vice-Premier Li Keqiang travels to Budapest and holds talks with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban. (''China Daily'')
- The Japanese owner is found of a Harley-Davidson that drifted to Canada in a container that had been swept out to sea in the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. (BBC)
- Coroner Fiona Wilcox states that Secret Intelligence Service officer Gareth Williams was ampquoton the balance of probabilitiesampquot unlawfully killed and that it is unlikely he found his way all by himself into the padlocked red sports bag in which his body was found in the bath at his home. (BBC)
- A man, believed by the media (but not confirmed) to be J. T. Ready, a Neo-Nazi, and a member of the Minutemen Civil Defense Corps, is among five individuals in Gilbert, Arizona, found dead with gunshot wounds. It is unclear what role he may have played in the apparent shootings, and what precise type they were, but he is believed to have shot the others and then himself in a possible murder-suicide. (MSNBC)
- The Egyptian military expresses its willingness to hand over political power on May 24 if an outright winner emerges in the first round of the presidential elections. (RIA Novosti)
- Presidential candidates Nicolas Sarkozy and François Hollande go head-to-head in a televised debate in France. (BBC)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 2 May 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?