Wednesday 2 October 1929
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Applause, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 1929!
Which were the important events of 2 October 1929 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
- Peter Bronfman: Canadian businessman (Born 1928).
- Cesare Maestri: Italian climber, famous for climbing Cerro Torre.
- John Zochonis: British multi-millionaire soap magnate.
- Kenneth Leighton: Composer.
- Moses Gunn in Saint Louis: Missouri, USA; actor (Amityville II, Good Times, Shaft).
- Moses Gunn: American actor. An Obie Award-winning stage player, he co-founded the Negro Ensemble Company in the 1960s. His 1962 Off-Broadway debut was in Jean Genet's The Blacks, and his Broadway debut was in A Hand is on the Gate, an evening of African-American poetry. He was nominated for a 1976 Tony Award as Best Actor (Play) for The Poison Tree and played Othello on Broadway in 1970. Gunn is perhaps best remembered in film for his portrayal of mobster Ellsworth Raymond "Bumpy" Jonas in the first two Sha
- Howard Roberts: American jazz guitarist. He played on over 2000 movie and film soundtrack albums by his own count, made his own albums, and cofounded the Guitar Institute of Technology (now the Musician's Institute). In addition, he wrote a monthly column for Guitar Player magazine for many years. He died on June 28, 1992 in Seattle, Washington
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 2 October 1929 and get them!