Friday 2 October 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Couples Retreat, directed by Peter Billingsley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 2009!
Which were the important events of 2 October 2009 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 October
- Voters in Ireland go to the polls for a second referendum on the Treaty of Lisbon. (''The Vancouver Sun'')
- Croatia resumes membership talks with the European Union after Slovenia lifts its 10-month embargo. (BBC)
- Rainstorms in Messina and other parts of Sicily sweep at least 18 people away to their deaths, wounding 40, causing 20 to disappear and surrounding the city with mud and rainwater. A state of emergency is declared by the Italian government. (Xinhua)
- Israel agrees with Hamas to swap twenty female Palestinian prisoners for a videotape proving Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit is still alive. (''The New York Times'')
- A Burmese court rejects Aung San Suu Kyi's appeal against her extended detention. (Xinhua)
- Kenya says it will cooperate with the International Criminal Court over post-election unrest in 2007. (Capital FM)
- Protesters storm and ransack the office of the Sri Lankan High Commission in New Delhi, India, in protest at the alleged firing on Indian fisherman by the Sri Lanka Navy. (''The Hindu'')
- Pakistan's army probes a video posted on social networking website Facebook that appears to show soldiers abusing Taliban. (''The Washington Post'')
- Mexican authorities claim to have made their largest-ever seizure of chemicals used in the manufacture of the synthetic drug methamphetamine. (BBC)
- Typhoon Parma
- Thousands of people are evacuated as Typhoon Parma approaches the Philippines. (Associated Press)
- President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declares the entire country in a ampquotstate of calamityampquot. (''The Chosun Ilbo'')
- Thousands of people gather at a mosque in Guinea's capital, Conakry, to identify those killed in Monday's opposition rally against military rule. (BBC)
- A bid to force publication of an internal BBC review of its Middle East coverage, ''EastEnders'' and ''Top Gear'' is rejected in the British High Court of Justice. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?