Saturday 2 October 2010
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.
Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 2010!
Which were the important events of 2 October 2010 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 October
- Kwa Geok Choo: Mrs Lee Kuan Yew (Born 1920).
- A British soldier has been killed in an explosion while on patrol in Nahr-e Saraj District of Helmand Province in Afghanistan. (Google via AP)
- 3 drone strikes kill 18 people in the Data Khel area of North Waziristan in Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Area as the government continues to block a NATO supply route into Afghanistan, bringing the numbers of militant and civilian deaths to at least 150. (BBC)
- Iran arrests several people suspected of spying for foreign intelligence services on its nuclear facilities. (''The Observer'')
- 2010 strikes in France: Millions of people demonstrate on the streets of France for a third day in more than 200 protests against President Nicolas Sarkozy's plans to raise the retirement age from 60 to 62. (Reuters)
- A four-story residential building under construction collapsed Saturday morning in Chang'an District of Xi'an City, northwest China's Shaanxi Province, killing eight workers and injuring three. (China Daily)
- In Indonesia, two trains are involved in a rear-end collision at Petarukan, killing 43 and injuring 50. Another train crash at Solo kills one person. (''Jakarta Post'')
- Rick Sanchez, a Cuban-born news anchorman with the American channel CNN, is fired by the network after calling comedian Jon Stewart a ampquotbigotampquot, saying Jews are not an oppressed minority in the United States, and implying the people who run CNN and other news media are Jewish. (AP via ''The New Zealand Herald'')
- The MAXXI – National Museum of the 21st Century Arts in Rome wins the Stirling Prize, a British architectural award given by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- The 60th Miss World 2010 pageant begins as the last delegates from 120 nations worldwide arrive in China. (Globalbeauties)
- A film produced for the 10:10 campaign in which a teacher explodes two of her students is withdrawn due to complaints and an apology is issued. (''The Guardian'')
- American female television station Oxygen gives the go-ahead to a new reality show set to star American celebrity and heiress Paris Hilton the show is to follow Hilton in the course of her daily life. (Reuters)
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas tells that peace negotiations will not continue until Israel makes a new settlement freeze on the West Bank, ending the current Israel-Palestine peace negotiations after just one month, though maintaining contacts with the United States. (Aljazeera)
- Spanish police arrest 41 people suspected of financing FARC rebels in Colombia. (euronews)
- Druidry is recognised as religion for first time in the United Kingdom. (AP via Google News)
- President of Ecuador Rafael Correa declares ampquota great victory for the governmentampquot after defeating the 2010 Ecuador crisis in a nationally broadcast address from the presidential palace. (Al Jazeera)
- Voters in Latvia go to the polls in a parliamentary election. (Reuters)
- A report into the second Irish referendum on the Treaty of Lisbon is published, indicating reasons why people voted for and against the European Union treaty, which the Government eventually ratified successfully after much effort. (''Socialist Worker'')
- Death of Kwa Geok Choo:
- Kwa Geok Choo, wife of first Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew and mother of current prime minister Lee Hsien Loong, dies at home. (''The Straits Times'')
- Lee Hsien Loong interrupts his visit to the Asia–Europe Meeting (ASEM) in Brussels to fly home. (Channel News Asia)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?